Happy weekend! A bit early. I know that this is a crafty blog and all, but for today, let's think of that as it's day job. On the weekend, it can do whatever it wants. And today it wants to talk about my teeth. And how they came out.
Given that most of my friends had their wisdom teeth removed quite a while ago, I've heard a lot over the years about what should be expected. Rather than go over the things you've probably already heard a thousand times, I thought I'd share the things that surprised me about my experience. I know every mouth and every person a mouth belongs to is different, so not all of this will necessarily apply. And maybe none of this would surprise you?
And... uh... if you're squeamish, you won't hurt my feelings if you don't read this. Although I have tried to keep it reasonable.
So, here we go.
1. X rays are digital. Okay, so I've seen this in other medical offices. It's not crazy new. And my kids may not remember anything OTHER than digital. But I still can't believe how fast we see the images now-- no waiting for the films to develop. I walked down the hall from the exam chair, did a quick panoramic X-ray, and TA DAH! Here's my whole mouth on the computer screen. If you like to examine this kind of thing, you can see that I only had three wisdom teeth. There never was a fourth. So my mouth was always asymmetrical. Well, ever since the bottom one came in a dozen years ago. (This isn't the first time I've shared an x-ray.)
2. The doctor did not prescribe antibiotics. Instead he prescribed some sort of prescription mouthwash. He said that studies showed that the efficacy was the same without the intestinal upset side effects. I was stoked that I didn't have to worry about how to deal with taking them, puking them up and then trying to decide how/when to take them again.
3. I only needed gauze the first day. For some reason I expected I'd be a mess for days, but 24 hours after surgery, the bleeding had stopped.
4. The top teeth are easy to remove. The bottom ones are so difficult that they drill it into four sections first. Because I was alert during the process, I saw that it took them 90% of the total time to get the bottom one out, and the remaining 10% to do both of the top ones.
5. My problem with eating wasn't the chewing. Chewing didn't bother me all that much. My problem with eating was that for a while I couldn't open my mouth enough to fit both a fork and food into it. I needed really small bites. I guess all of the jaw swelling kept me from opening it.
6. I was eating pretty normal food the next day. Just in small bites.
7. I accused the doctor of attaching my cheek to my gum where it hadn't been previously. At my one week follow-up I was convinced that he'd changed the anatomy of my cheek. He promised that he gets accused of that all the time and that it's just the swelling and it'll be gone in another week or so.
8. I failed to realize that yawning would be bad. So I yawned. Yawning is bad. At least for 4-5 days after. For me.
9. I still don't know what I think about the anesthesia. There were 3 options. Local. Local + gas. IV sedation. I didn't want to get completely knocked out. That freaks me out. But I knew local alone would not make me very happy. So I chose the middle. I guess the answer is that there is no perfect option. I guess I'd do it that way again. I'd just like to be able to forget a few little details. Like hearing the doctor say "you're about to feel a ridiculous amount of pressure." But I don't remember hearing much else-- I had my iPod in my hand and would crank it up when I didn't want to hear something.
10. I still puked. I tried so very hard to make sure I was eating before AND with the Ibuprofen and Percocet, and I was actually kind of excited to think about the Percocet just letting me sleep for a while and not feel anything. But I still felt. Loopy, not good. And it made me puke. I'd done everything I could to avoid it, but didn't end up missing out on that. So I only took it that one time. There's precious little that's worth puking for. Precious littles, that's all.
11. I got nothing crafty done. Well, I read one crafty book that I'll be talking about soon. But I thought I'd have a few days worth of sketching/planning. In reality, I was showered and dressed and out the door 48 hours later. I realize the insanity of having plans for "down time".
And now that I'm mostly normal again, I am so so so relieved to have this done. I'm hoping to be done with the ibuprofen in a few more days. And so glad wisdom teeth can't grow back!
And completely unrelated to the above but TOTALLY CRAFTY and a nice little treat for those of you who bothered to read this far: We're posting the next Spoonflower I Spy Swap on Monday! Finally!