10. Because her house is happier than the happiest place on earth. She has a veritable Chuck E Cheese's for the older kids in her basement, she has Apple TV and can download any movie or tv show you want, she was an art student, so she has every crafty supply you'd ever need, and she has sprinkles and cake decorating gear for any holiday/event you can imagine. (I borrow stuff from her a lot. Usually I give it back. Susan, I still have your cutter dealie that makes square corners into rounded corners)
9. Because she has a fun little "I'm going to electrocute you" game that she plays with my 1 yr old at the dinner table that instantly makes her frown turn upside-down. (don't worry, it's totally safe)
8. Because she does all the graphics for our site, because she came up with the idea for the Crafterhours logo, and because she is the one that put all the effort into embroidering it for us.
7. Because she's the idea person behind Crafterhours. I like to make things that everyone has heard of before, like skirts and dresses. I'm not very original, I just like to sew. Susan comes up with stuff that you've never even heard of or knew that you needed. But you do. And on a related note, she's really good at sewing and non-sewing crafts, whereas it appears I cannot mod podge to save my life. Susan has made her own screenprints with mod podge, I kid you not.
6. Because she's friendly and social. She calls people. She arranges events. Whenever she hosts playgroup, she has a theme, like Indoor Picnic, Beach Day in February, and Pancakes and Pajamas. (When I host, I say the theme is "playgroup") She invites people over. She always has something to feed them. To me this is awesome because it is the exact opposite of me, and I want to be like that when I grow up.
5. Because she has all the crafty items that I need right now and can't wait 10 days for the mail to deliver. Fabric paint? check. Pipe cleaners? check. Clear vinyl? check.
4. Because she makes lunch. Not like how you and I make lunch (sandwich, apple, stick of cheese, now go take a nap). She makes lunch. I tell her she should save her cooking for dinner when she absolutely has to do it, but no. Chicken tetrazini, Caprese pasta, and homemade soup are just a few of the things I've had recently at her house at the noon hour.
3. Because she single-handedly maintained the Crafterhours empire while I was out of commission for a week and then out of town for another week, when I didn't have the foresight/energy to write some posts in advance for her to put up.
2. Because she wrote a really sweet post about my crafty space, using skilled photography and macro-shots to make it look clean and orderly and like a space that I wish I actually had.
And the NUMBER ONE reason:
1. Because when I was on my near-deathbed a week ago, she showed up at my house (because she knew that if she called first, I would forbid her from coming), she made me go back to bed, she took care of my kids, she made homemade chicken noodle soup, and above all, she cleaned my house. My house that was messier than even I've ever seen it, because I was incapacitated and hubby was gone, and my 3 and 1 yr old had scavenged for their own food for 2 days and left trails of it across every floor and surface so they'd have plenty to snack on later (resourceful, I say), not to mention every toy and non-toy that they'd been playing with was on the floor, all the cushions were off the couch, all their shoes were out of their closets, etc.
Above and beyond, Susan. You deserve a medal. Or maybe some free Anna Maria Horner Little Folks Voile.