It all started with an e-mail. From Stacey. A question. A straightforward question. How, she asked, do Adrianna and I think this was made? And then we discussed. And I think I discussed enough that I convinced poor Stacey that it was too complicated. Boo. But I did think it was complicated. Until I tried it. Not so complicated. And I documented the process so that you can try it too. Not that mine is an exact copy. No, we’ll call this an “inspired by.” I still have a few other ideas to try to make it more like the original piece. But I’m liking this for now, and I hope Stacey likes it too.
Now, if it were Adrianna making this one, she’d make a tank from scratch. Not only because the inexpensive-tank-buying-options are few in her ‘hood, but because she can make a tank in about twelve minutes, including a break for a mint milano. She’s the sew-er and I’m the embellish-er. So I got to shopping. Two tanks for $4.50 each. I chose these because I thought that the knit was lightweight enough to make ruffle-y pleats but not so lightweight that it couldn’t possibly flatter a mommy body. A critical consideration.
I put one aside and laid out the other to chop it up. Down the side seams, across the top and bottom so that I have two clean rectangles.
A lotta pins in a small space. Tucking ends underneath the upper ruffle/pleat wherever possible.
Allllmost done. I’ve used 1/2″ strips in the top row of the doo-flahtchies and 3/4″ strips for the bottom. The sacrificial tank eeeked out just enough to work with.
Aaaahhhhhhh. In the end, so much less painful than I made it out to be.