First, I used this tutorial to make these:
They're kind of sloppy because they were just my trial pair. The second pair I made turned out much better. I made them boy shorts instead of bikini, and made a bias binding for the top and leg openings instead of elastic. It worked great! As long as your knit is stretchy and cut to fit exactly, it turns out elastic isn't necessary for underwear. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of them before giving them to Jeremy's girlfriend. Mandi, want to model them for the blog? :)
Next up, I made this:
Here's a short and not very detailed tutorial. I'm guessing you could make this shirt just by looking at it, but contact me if you have questions!
First draft a little pattern for the top (printed) part. Use your kid's measurements and you should end up with a piece looking like the bottom one here:
If you want, you can construct the back with two pieces like I did and add buttonholes, but since the shirt ties on top, it's not necessary. Cut out the same pieces in facing fabric also. Sew the facing to the front and back pieces only along the top edge, then flip right side out and press.
Then cut out two rectangles from the tshirt using the width and length measurements from your kid. The front rectangle can be a little wider because you'll do a slight gather in the front. Pin the back pieces, right sides together, and sew across.
Then gather the front piece just at the center
Pin the front pieces right sides together and sew across.
Now sew up the side seams and make or buy some bias tape to finish the armholes. Sew the tape down around the u-shape of each armhole, leaving about 10 inches free on each side to be the ties. I hope this is self-explanatory because I don't have a picture of this part.
If you used the existing hem of the shirt as the bottom of your new shirt, you're done! If not, hem and you're done! Depending on how tall your kid is and how big your tshirt is, you could also turn this into a cute little sundress.
Tomorrow I'll show you what else I made!